Respect Nature, Please!
This place has internet!!! So, I won't be away from blogdom after all. We are in the middle of a forest but the NGO where we are staying has net. Ironical!
Just a short post to tell everyone how important it is to respect nature...Yesterday, we trekked 16 kms to visit 2 tribal villages. The tribals here have to face the 'elephant menace' everyday. Elephants come, feast on the crops and villagers lose their earnings.
Everyone here is extra careful when it comes to these elephants. As against tame elephants, their wild counterparts feel threatened by human presence and hence, they attack.
We miscalculated our time of return from the mountains. So, when we were actually supposed to be indoors by 6 pm, we were groping about in the dark forest around 7 pm. It was a so-called 'jeep track' on our way down. A jeep going up told us that there was a lone elephant in the vicinity...which is the most dangerous. We walked together in a group and kept silent. Loud sounds make wild animals panic. There are even reports of a cheetah doing rounds of the forest.
I was so scared that even though I had managed to pull a muscle in my leg, I was numb! I could feel nothing. All I wanted to do was reach a tar road. All of us were hoping and praying so hard that we would be safe!
All of us have to learn to respect nature. We tend to take nature for granted. But yesterday, I realised that the forest is actually theirs. We are THE INTRUDERS!
Please try to avoid buying fur and ivory products or any product that involves killing of wild animals. Deforestation and poaching are destroying the balance in nature and soon, it's going to get us if we don't do something about it.
Leave Nature Alone! Only then will she protect us!
Just a short post to tell everyone how important it is to respect nature...Yesterday, we trekked 16 kms to visit 2 tribal villages. The tribals here have to face the 'elephant menace' everyday. Elephants come, feast on the crops and villagers lose their earnings.
Everyone here is extra careful when it comes to these elephants. As against tame elephants, their wild counterparts feel threatened by human presence and hence, they attack.
We miscalculated our time of return from the mountains. So, when we were actually supposed to be indoors by 6 pm, we were groping about in the dark forest around 7 pm. It was a so-called 'jeep track' on our way down. A jeep going up told us that there was a lone elephant in the vicinity...which is the most dangerous. We walked together in a group and kept silent. Loud sounds make wild animals panic. There are even reports of a cheetah doing rounds of the forest.
I was so scared that even though I had managed to pull a muscle in my leg, I was numb! I could feel nothing. All I wanted to do was reach a tar road. All of us were hoping and praying so hard that we would be safe!
All of us have to learn to respect nature. We tend to take nature for granted. But yesterday, I realised that the forest is actually theirs. We are THE INTRUDERS!
Please try to avoid buying fur and ivory products or any product that involves killing of wild animals. Deforestation and poaching are destroying the balance in nature and soon, it's going to get us if we don't do something about it.
Leave Nature Alone! Only then will she protect us!
3 Comments:
Good to see that you have had a very interesting thrilling experience walking through the forest. You cant be more right we are just one small speck of the entire cycle of nature and yet cause the biggest effect on nature.
Have a great time and enjoy yourself and keep up the posts coming ...love dada
Good thoughts..
Chhaan!!!
He zaraa Philosophically abhyaasaaylaa hava.
Nisargaalaa ekTa soRaa he mhaNaNa tasa phaar eco-centric vaTata.
Sirf & learn following issues in
environmental ethics:
Eco-centrism
Bio-centrism
Anthropo-centrism
Specy-centrism
Gaia hypothesis
I can understand the thrill & fear you underwent.Also I understand the imbecility of the human you realized in those moments.paN tyaavaroon kaahee bhoomikaa banavNyaapexaa shaastrvruteene tapaasoon pahaave.
Hyaavar too mhaNsheel haa koN hattechyaa kaanaatoon ye-oon malaa sangaNaara?
PauraaNic Ganapatichyaa kathelaa he gaja-bhaya link hoteya te paha...tyaaavar ek lalithee paaRataa ye-eel.
Gajaananaaya namah!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home