|

Friday, January 06, 2006

A media champion[of sorts] of farmers !

The first week of 2006 started brilliantly at the ACJ. To give us an idea of rural deprivation, ACJ had invited The Hindu's Rural Editor, P.Sainath. He started by asking us to give an account of our trips to 'disadvantaged' regions. We had been divided into groups that went to places like Anaikatti [where I went], Kancheepuram, Vellore and Guntur [Andhra Pradesh]. Since then, the guy has left the class spellbound with his knowledge and analysis of some critical issues that are crippling India's countryside, farmer suicides in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and other states being one them.
Of course, there are those in my class who didn't like his 'I-know-and-have-done-more-than-thou' attitude. What I would say is that P. Sainath knows what he is talking about. I was lucky to have been introduced to practical methods of approaching rural India. This was something we needed to know before we went on our trips...I realised that at least in Anaikatti, we hadn't always 'asked the right questions'- something that is essential to being a good journalist. But to explain in polite words what many thought of his teaching style, I would say that he is an extremely engaging speaker. Funny thing, I didn't feel sleepy even once in his class. In fact, Sainath would make a great 'motivational speaker'. My impression of motivational speakers is not too flattering. They are the ones with those cheesy smiles...smiles they think are so confident and comforting. Frankly, I would be only to delighted to break their sparkling white teeth....the teeth they got polished from the dentist paying money they got from their sad friends. I hate it when they have catch lines like 'change your life, Take control of it' and all such stuff.
Oh, P.Sainath is none of what I just explained. I digressed a bit too much while thinking of those annoying newspaper ads. Before I move on, this is to say that I have nothing against motivational speakers. I am sure they are nice guys who want to genuinely help people. It's just my perception that is problematic.
Yes, so Sainath is an excellent orator. His enthusiasm is contagious. In fact, for the past few months, I have been thinking of spending time in my home state, Maharashtra, to understand where I come from. And Maharashtra is those hundreds of villages, those lakhs of people...my people. It does not begin and end with Mumbai and Pune...which is what my world used to be, having led a comfortable yuppie lifestyle. Sainath has inspired me to go ahead with my thoughts even more.
Everything said [or rather written], I am glad we had the opportunity to listen to P.Sainath speak. At least someone is looking at our food producers, poor farmers who ensure that we eat well but don't have much of it for themselves.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Salute to your writing-specifically the last few lines.. those have made my eyes wet. Just do not want to be on emotional side , the article you have proposed here seems really challenging and definitely should be taken on national front.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes hopefully excellend orators like P.Sainath inspire more of the younger generation of India so that we make great strides ahead in the years to come.
Rural india is a huge untapped often forgotten, neglected but is the essence of our country. If we have to be one of the superpowers in the world, in the long run, rural India is where most of the development has to take place.
Excellent article and keep on blogging!

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listening to P.Sainath was one of the best experiences in ACJ. He was provocative and made all of us (atleast most of us) think of what sort of work that we all would like to do.
Your article nicely reflects what most people felt after listening him.
But I still feel, Sainath's articles are more powerful than his speeches.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Jemima said...

thnx yogesh...yes, covering the issue is very challenging....i hope sharad pawar remembers he has the Agriculture portfolio in addition to his recent cricket triumphs.

dada,i agree with u when u write that if india has to achieve great heights. rural india cannot be ignored.

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home