The Cure begins...
I have ‘Multiple Identity Disorder’. And this post is one of my first symptoms. Who am I? Jemima, of course! But also, a woman, my parents’ daughter, my brother’s sister, a student, an aspiring journalist, an Indian, a Maharashtrian, a proud Puneite….these identities are distinctly different and yet they connect to form a complex web called ‘my life’ . Every role demands that I behave in a particular way. I want to explore each of these identities…the first one being my religion. I am Jewish. The identities are not in any order of preference. And here what being a Jew means to me:
Recently, I read an article by Mike Marqusee called ‘Realities of Israel’ in my favourite-for-now…my idli-dosai paper ‘The Hindu’.
What I really liked in this article was the part where he speaks about his identity as a Jew. After being Jewish for the past 21 years [i.e. all my life], I am beginning to wonder what it really means.
What I find most difficult with this identity is explaining to people which religion I belong to. I think something is seriously wrong with the educated middle-class in Pune. They just don’t know who the Jews are…even if our community has been on Indian soil for several generations now.
Some ignorant ones ask, ‘Jew? WHAT is that?’ When I am in one of my hysterical moods, i.e. when I am being myself, I complain to my parents saying, “How can anyone not know who the Jews are? Didn’t they read about us in their school history on the Second World War?”
The same argument goes on to prick my conscience when I am much calmer. Do I want people to recognise my religion solely on the basis of the horrific tales of the Holocaust that killed more than six million Jews?
Another reference point to help people understand who I am is mentioning ‘
Though people find it easier to associate the religion to
My reader might wonder why there is a strong desire to dissociate myself from my religion. Honestly speaking, this is where the confusion lies.
The Jewish community in
As a child and even today, I love Sabbath because the whole family comes together to pray. Of course, distances have separated us but, that Friday evening is sacred to me because I get to spend time with my family. I also love the fresh grape wine and the special food that my mom makes for dinner. As for the religious significance of Sabbath in my life, I am not quite sure. Though I do know the Sabbath prayers by heart and also their general meaning, I don’t feel deeply attached to them. Except of course, when it was time for exams and remembering God was an urgent need. But then, a prayer of any religion and in any language would have reassured me.
I would like for the synagogue to be one of my favourite places in the world. We have two of them in Pune and they are really beautiful, especially the Ohel David Synagogue. Set in red stone, the building transports you to another era of charm and magnificence. But, just the idea of meeting the other Jews from my community there turns me off. Now, don’t get me wrong. There are some nice people there. But, I have always been unable to identify with them or relate to them on any issue. My parents have brought us [my brother and me] up teaching us to be very open-minded. My perception is that the Jews I know in Pune and Mumbai have locked themselves up in their own comfortable circles. They haven’t had the willingness or the courage to step out from their cocoons and get to know people from other communities. Many of them are narrow-minded, living in an atmosphere that existed some thirty years ago. Of course, there are some exceptions and I am glad most of those delightful exceptions are related to me.
There are several incidents involving Indian Jews that have cast doubts on their capacity to be more rational and respectable. So, do I avoid them because I am ashamed of them? Or is it because I am ashamed of myself…my identity? I think the second one is a more likely possibility.
We might be Jewish but, our culture and values come from the Maharashtrian culture. In my state, it is natural to think that a Maharashtrian is necessarily a Hindu. A faulty assumption…I agree…but that’s the way it is. As a people, we might have the Maharashtrian mindset and even Maharashtrian surnames but the Hindu religion doesn’t justify our Marathi identity. Several times, people have questioned how I could be a Marathi girl with a name like ‘Jemima’. And I, in my desire to have a sense of belonging to this state, have argued for my legitimacy as a Maharashtrian. I must confess that at times, I have even let people believe that I am a Hindu just to avoid confrontation and make them think that I am one amongst them.
So, ABCDs i.e. the American-Born Confused Desis are not the only ones to have an identity crisis.
Am I a god-fearing Jew? I am god-fearing alright but, I am not too sure my observance of religious practices is going to make Jewish elders too proud to have me around. I have stopped fasting for Yom Kippur as I think fasting is a hypocritical and useless practice. [I have another post coming up on that]. Do I pray? I believe in the power of a prayer called Shema
I have also begun to believe that humanity is the most important religion. If we can’t learn to be good human beings, no amount of praying and observance of religious rituals can give us a life full of contentment.
One might think that I am on the verge of giving up my religion. No way! That would make life too unchallenging and consequently, boring. I wish to find a way to be at peace with my religion. I have no idea how to go about it and it will probably take my whole life. But, this self-questioning will make the journey worthwhile.
26 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by the author.
in a society such as ours, i suppose the age old cliched saying of "unity in diversity" is what fits us to a 'T'. we all suffer from a similar MPD, but i suppose the best thing is, you've gotten the most important thing and that is that humanity is the religion that everyone ought to follow. not to mention, our different identities give us the option of so many different things to choose from that can define what we make of ourselves.
and although the Jewish community is relatively small, and most people don't understand them, nor do you relate to it much, i suppose the best thing about a religion in its purest form is that it's open to one's own personal interpretation. religion is just a means to give you that collective faith of being able to do something with the backing of the divine...to give you that extra push (should you need it). but where and how you get that faith isn't necessarily in the rites and rituals that we believe to be etched in stone.
we figure ourselves through religion (read, personal interpretation compared with general perception), and we try and find our place in the world via the means of religion(at least it's one of the ways). but the bottom line is...religion doesn't define people...it's the people who define a religion. and it's just way that helps you on your path to self discovery !!! at least that's what i believe its meant to do...no matter which religion you belong to!!!
Dada here :),
Excellent article Jemu, you have brilliantly put to words what most of the Indian jews must have thought about atleast once in their life. If you are interested in finding more about Indian jews check this link out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bene_Israel.
Generally wikipedia is a good start to research anything.
I think the crux of this issue is that people need an identity to live by i.e. name,religion,profession etc. As you rightly said that all of them are twinned together to form a human being. Even a person saying that he has no religion calls himself an atheist. Even he himself is identifying himself to a word, a group of people who believe in something. Various identities gives us the mutli-faceted structure to our existence.
As far as other people not knowing about Jews is a pity. This does show the obvious neglect of general knowledge that people have. Though if I meet such people I try my best to explain who Jews are. But I have met many people who do know about Jews but few and far between. Though I am happy in the knowledge that every person who does not know about Jews, and who meets me and understands who Jews are, is one less person on earth who does not know about Jews (Opitimism for you :))
I dont think having multiple identities is a disorder. It is a part of our daily life. A father behaves very differently with his child than if he was in a board meeting. Having multiple identites makes a person unique and I believe is an essential part to anyone's personal development. I am happy in the fact that I am Jewish and a Maharashtrian and a MONKEY :)..
Looking forward to many more excellent blogs from you and hope you keep on improving your journalistic skills everyday.
We have to play different roles in society -- especially in traditional societies where an individual is entirely defined by its family , community and profession.
But this is not because we have familial , religious and professional duties that we have 3 identities - these 3 aspects are indeed defining our very identity.
Do we say that we speak several languages just because we are not using the same words when talking with friends or with relatives?
There are more unicorns than people with MID, MPD, DID or whatever.
Oh and people without religion are not "atheists". This is not as easy... Atheism... Deism... Agnosticism... "Spiritual, not religious" types... "I don't knowists"... "Ritualists"... "I don't careists"... "Moféists"... (Personally speaking I am really into the latter).
Indeed, very few religious people understand what it is to have no religion... So the Jews are not the only ones to be misunderstood!!
hey saket....thanks for visiting...
I'll ask my Dad if he knows Diana aji. My 'jewish' contact list is probably the shortest amongst the jewish youth in Pune.
The synagogue on Moledina Road is very much Jewish. In fact, I love going there on important Jewish festivals. Sadly, the petrol pump next to it has eaten into the synagogue's compound. Now, the petrol pump's ugly building stands too close to the lovely red structure.
Anyway...keep coming back..enjoy!
Jemima,
Excellent post and you have proved what I have written about you on my blog: "your blog will have honest and sincere posts".
Coming to the post, you have nicely described the question of identity that an individual faces.
Its an question which is difficult to answer, but I think thats the essence of life. The quest of finding one single identity is and should remain unending.
Your post is a thought provoking and thats the beauty of it.
hey antoinetta!
I really like your comment there...especially where you say that religion doesn't define us but we define the religion.
there many 'religious' persons who probably know the holy books from cover to cover but are intolerant of others. basically, they forget how to be good human beings.
keep visiting...
thanks ashish...but i still have a lot to live up to...for eg...your blogdom royalty.
but you don't get it...one single identity shouldn't be anyone's quest. in fact, it would be dangerous as we would be limiting our scope for growth. what we experience in the different roles we play make us more complete.
when i called multiple identities a 'disorder', i should have mentioned that i was enjoying having it.
stay tuned...
hey dada...nice to have you here.
i have already been to wikipedia...ya it's a good place to start.
that's a good point that when a person calls himself an atheist, even he wants something to identify it. funny thing is...i know some friends who call themselves atheists just coz it's a 'cool' thing to do . but, then we know ppl like shama [our cousin samson] who know exactly why they are atheists...it is how life turns out for each of us that decides our faith [in god] or the lack of it. btw, what i like about shama is his belief in his own abilities...his confidence gives him that 'extra push' antoinetta talks about.
i know having multiple identities is not a disorder..even if it was...i love having it.
thanks a lot again. keep visiting...
dear anonymous coward...
either i am too tired after today's shoot or you simply don't make sense to me. i think it's the former coz i haven't understood the point you are trying to make. please be kind enough to explain your comment to me.
thanks
Hi, "Cousin from Israel" here
Just to clear a small misunderstanding about the origin of Indian Jews, it is only a belief that Jews landed in India from Spain, not a proven fact, although there are many signs which lead to the conclusion. Indain Jews are considered as a part of the "Lost Tribes" whose origin is difficult to find out after so many years of Diaspora. A few East African countries, and countries like Iran, Iraq, even Afghanistan have Jews, who today Hate Jews since even they don't know how they turned to be Muslims in the course of the years. Latest researches have found Jews in Assam and Nagaland too, and a few places in China, and DNA tests have been conducted to prove these facts.
Jemu knows I'm probably the biggest atheist on the earth, for I belive in being a Human, rather than belonging to any Religion, and History is proof that majority of the wars in the world have been fought on Religious basis. Thats why I personally don't believe that "Multiple Identity Disorder" should be a problem of any person. If you're a "Good Human" you'll be a good father, brother, mother, sister, husband wife, friend, daughter, son, teacher, ... the list may go on.
Anyway keep up the good work...Just my critical way of encouraging you.
Sammy (Israel)
Hi Jemima and Michael,
"Even a person saying that he has no religion calls himself an atheist."
"i know some friends who call themselves atheists just coz it's a 'cool' thing to do."
My point was: the "truly religious" people (and you seem to be two of them, correct me if i'm wrong) really have no idea of what the people without religion feel about God, religion, the meaning of life and everything. "I am not religious" and "I am an atheist" are not synonyms, and it is wrong to say that non-religious people are all atheists and want to be recognized as so. There are many answers to the question "Is there a God ?" that do not involve religious believes at all... e.g:
- "Yes, and I don't see why this concept should be materialized by cultural artefacts or social practices".
- "Yes, but it does not matter."
- "I don't care. Why should i ?".
- "I don't know, why should it matter ?"
- "As it is a very subjective question that can't be experimentally answered, We can only say that we don't know and we shouldn't care..."
- "Of course not. Now you want to know why I go to the church/temple/synagogue ? Because it makes me feel relaxed and allows me to meet people."
- "No thanks."
- "No and people with such backward thoughts, in an age of nanotechnology, genetic engineering, information superhighways, space robots, popup ads and breast implants should be stoned to death".
thanks for the clarification and criticism shama. i appreciate it.
Hi Jemima,
Great blog and full of honesty. Tell you what, I am a Marathi Hindu, Maratha at that, and I didn't know much about Jews back in childhood. I knew about them afterI read about World War II. But before that I knew of a woman, who we call kaki. She is a neighbour. And then baba (that is my dad) told me that she is Jewish. I was like, how can she be Jewish when she speaks Marathi so well, looks pretty much like us and does everything else like us. He said she is Marathi Jew. From then on I started knowing about Marathi Jews and of course, than I met many Marathi Jews, in my office, in other places etc. Anyway, bye for now,. chal mag, aata tata, kalji ghe !
thnx suresh for ur comment.keep visiting
hi jemima this is Ameya Wadekar from Pune, and just came across your blog via your orkut profile.
and this article of yours is nice one. its not just the jewish ppl in india but anyone from anywhere suffers from this "multiple identity" disorder phenomenan.i am a hindu and i am a marathi am also a Punekar and so on...but i think instead of having conflict in them we must maintain a common level of admiration for all the ids.i think in your case u can be proud of being Marathi coz u are born in land of Maharastra & also be proud tht u are Jewish. u can also be proud that u r now a Delhite.i dont see a conflict ne where..ne ways i may be wrong.
and next point u said u are aghast at people not knowing Jews in India..see even i had a Jewish frend in school (now she is in israel)and untill i met her again on net i really dint knew what exactly is Judaism..this was not because i was uninterested to know what Jews are or what they speak and so on , but simply because a person gets eager to learn abt something only when he sufficently comes in contact with tht object.
but today i know everything abt Jews,the history of Jews in India,jewish festivals,uniqueness of Indian Jews. since a punekar i also know abt the ohel david synagogue and the other one at rasta peth (i really love ohel david synagogue i wud love to go in there.
i think on average indian education is purgated by nehru-gandhian sudo secularism that even Hindus dont get correct idea about their own religion, what they will know about Jews? i think a average Hindu like me admires Jews,but its only because Jews are less,people are not knowing much.I think we must educate people, please donot assume that Hindus are oblivious to you.. have nice day Jemima.
If I were to buy an iPhone, what would be the cheapest plan that included unlimited text messaging and __min. of talk time? Can you get Verizon as your provider with an iPhone?
[url=http://www.spreadanalytics.net/forum/showthread.php?p=40139#post40139]unlock iphone[/url]
Hiii there
I came to about Indian jew few years ago and i perfectly understand your feelings.But tell me one thing isnt it true that even you people have forgotten that you are guys are jew ?Its only when gora baba came here they discover your community.
You guys are here for thousand years but you have assimilated in local culture in this way that nobody realize you people are jew.
[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Dont Bother With Sluggish Downloads With NZB Downloads You Can Rapidly Find High Quality Movies, Console Games, Music, Applications & Download Them at Blazing Rates
[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Usenet[/B][/URL]
It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat script[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or misunderstood ways to build an income online.
Hey,
When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here jemimarohekar.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Are you really serious about your weight?. Research shows that almost 70% of all U.S. grownups are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.
About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.
``Itll be okay. I warned Melvin that we should constrain our son from the tit,but he shrugged and said, he expected to make sacrifices for theproper rearing of our children.
black sex adult stories
women true sex stories
free retro porn stories
free hertrosexual erotic stories
true free gay adult sex stories
``Itll be okay. I warned Melvin that we should constrain our son from the tit,but he shrugged and said, he expected to make sacrifices for theproper rearing of our children.
Hi Jemima,
I am Ritesh great article first of all,tell u a fact I am from north India and living in Maharashtra from past 10 yrs and identity problem I think it happens with almost everyone. Anyways even I was unaware of jewish religion till I saw the red. Building at camp then I started senquiry that what exactly it is and found it as a jewish religious place .I was keen interested in Judaism as it is not common in northern part of India . I was searching jewish person whom I can meet or talk to know more about Judaism ,really want to know more about indian jewish culture . I have read a lot about judaism on net but was insufficient data for Indian jews. I am working with Havells as a sales manager . My email I'd is ritesh_raman@yahoo.com . Plz do contact me I want to know more. You are my first jewish contact really eager to listen from you, so your whole family lives here in pune and what do you do?
ok bye tkc ...
Hi jemima, interesting article about Indian Jews. I must admit to the "multiple identity disorder" as well. I now live in Australia, was brought up in the UK, was born in Mauritius and have parents who are both decended from Maharashtrans. About four generations before me. As if that were not enough I have such a strong belief that I come from Jewish ansestors that I converted to Judiasm about 25 years ago and still am a regular Shule goer. My wife and kids are also practising Jews but a recent visit to family in Mauritius really made me think about who I really am. I think religion can shape the person and if studied deeply can be a positive force in ones life. A study of Hebrew is more than just the study of a language. There are depths or levels that can only be understood with the right teacher. Anyway, I am sure you know this already.
[url=http://www.23planet.com]online casino[/url], also known as accepted casinos or Internet casinos, are online versions of bawling-out ("buddy and mortar") casinos. Online casinos dissemble someone accept gamblers to assess as detail in and wager on casino games with the keep from the Internet.
Online casinos habitually be neurotic up championing swop odds and payback percentages that are comparable to land-based casinos. Some online casinos call on higher payback percentages in the fall back on to of incomprehension sense games, and some phylum honoured payout consequence profit audits on their websites. Assuming that the online casino is using an aptly programmed unspecific infant up generator, note games like blackjack rent into harmonious's tenure an established agree to in edge. The payout size as a replacement sturdy these games are established gone and forgotten the rules of the game.
Bifurcate online casinos publish not at home or acquire their software from companies like Microgaming, Realtime Gaming, Playtech, Worldwide Dodging Technology and CryptoLogic Inc.
Post a Comment
<< Home